Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi Day Orange Glazed Pound Cake

I know everyone is jumping on the Pi day band wagon with special recipes but I have a good reason to. 5 years ago my husband and I got married, on Pi day. At the time he worked as a physics professor and we had dated for several years before and wanted to pick a new anniversary date we would remember since we had our old one for so long. And we decided on Pi day.
So today Bubba and I made a Pi cake. (I don't really like pie as much as I like cake so I made it Pi shaped to keep in theme) I have been using this pound cake recipe since I began baking, I have no idea where it came from but it remains my favorite.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
5 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat the butter til smooth then add the sugar. 


Continue to beat til smooth and almost fluffy.


Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time, mixing between each one.


Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix well. Then pour into a greased pan. 
Bake at 325 for 45 min. 
(Traditionally pound cake is cooked in a loaf pan but I wanted to cut this into a Pi shape 
so I used a larger plan.)



Once it is cool you can mix up the glaze.

3 tablespoons melted butter
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
3 tablespoons orange juice

Mix together with a whisk then cover the cake and refrigerate.



Happy Pi day to everyone :)



No comments:

Post a Comment