Monday, March 18, 2013

Toaster oven Bacon and Mushroom Mini Quiches

I have made crustless quiche twice in the past for this blog, the first one was a spinach, mushroom, and red pepper quiche, and the second a chicken, broccoli, mushroom, and potato quiche. They are lower calorie, and easier, but I love a quiche with crust, if I have the time to make it. One particular day when Bubba was in an excellent mood, and I really felt like quiche for lunch, I decided to make Bacon Mushroom Quiches, and since we still don't have a working oven they were done in the toaster oven, in 3 separate muffin tins. I have found that you can bake most things in the toaster oven, the trick is to keep the heat a little lower and check it often. I baked these at 325- ish (it's hard to tell on the dial, there is a large gap between 300 and 350) Unless you have to, I wouldn't make the full recipe in the toaster oven because between prep time and baking time, I think it took like 3 hours.

Here is what you'll need:
Crust:
2 1/2 cups bisquick
1/2 cup margarine

Quiche filling:
1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups cheese (I use a mix of cheddar and american)
1/4 yellow onion (chopped very fine)
3 strips of bacon (precooked)
4 white mushrooms (chopped finely)
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon black pepper


First mix the margarine and bisquick.


 I use a fork at first then once it gets to about this consistency then mix it with your hands.



Then take a bit of the dough and press it into a muffin tin.

 


They aren't pretty, and traditionally I think you would roll out the batter then cut 
out circles the size of the muffin tins, but this is way quicker.


Next saute the garlic, onions, and mushrooms in some olive oil then put to the side.


Then in a sauce pan melt the butter.


Mix in the flour.


Whisk in the milk, a little at a time, stirring til smooth.


After a few minutes it will thicken up. Then take it off the heat.


Add the parsley, oregano, and pepper.


Then add the cheese and mix well.


Then the eggs, mixing between each one.


And finally the bacon, and the mushroom/onion/garlic saute.



Then spoon the filling into the muffin tins. I used 2 mini tins, and one regular cupcake size tin.


I pre heated the toaster oven to 325-ish and baked the mini tins for 35 minutes each 
and about 50 minutes to 1 hour for the regular size tin.


Just like out of the real oven!


I enjoyed them for lunch, Bubba however has been on an egg strike for the past 6 months or so, but I think it may be ending soon. Sometimes he steals a bite of my omelette at breakfast and when I told him these quiches had bacon in them he took a small bite, tasted it and spit it out. Must have been too much egg over powering the bacon. (he LOVES bacon. we have to spell it out if we are talking about bacon and not prepared to give him any)



No comments:

Post a Comment