Friday, March 1, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Curry

The oven in the new house works, but the inside is rusted out and in a word, disgusting. Even after two 4 hour cleanings on the self cleaning mode and 2 cleanings with chemical oven cleaner. But I have found there are other ways to make dinner.

The first is my toaster oven. For three people it is just the right size for a small batch of corn bread muffins, biscuits, or even mini quiches. You just have to remember since the food is closer to the heat source to keep it down a little lower, and check it a little more often.

My latest discovery is my crock pot, which I have had for years but only made one or two specific recipes in it. Since I have started using it in place of the oven, I have found that you can make very juicy meat loaf, shredded roast pork and chicken for chili and other stew like foods, and awesome brats and sausages. The best part is most of the time it only takes 15-20 minutes prep time then cooks all day on it's own which is perfect for being home with Bubba, because since his play area became the whole living room, he is always finding something to get into!

This Chicken Curry is one of my newest crock pot experiments and is perfect with my brother Tim's Naan recipe we did a while back.

Here's what you'll need:
2 frozen chicken breasts 
(you could probably get up to 4 cooked in this sauce, 
maybe add 1/4 to 1/2 cup more chicken stock and a little more curry)
1/2 yellow onion (finely chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground curry
3/4 cup greek yogurt
1 peeled and chopped potato
1 cup frozen peas and carrots mix

First I just throw the frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot 
(lightly sprayed with cooking spray).


Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil. 


After they cook a little and you can really start to smell them, add the chicken stock. 


 (I have been using Better Than Bullion chicken base lately. It is so great because you just add what you need to water, and you can make stronger or lighter chicken broths with it.) 


Next add the spices and continue cooking til it starts to simmer.


Then pour it over the chicken in the crock pot set it to low and cover it. 
After 2-ish hours, or whenever I remember to, I go and flip the chicken breasts 
so they get evenly cooked in the sauce.




 To keep the peas and carrots crispier I add them when I add the yogurt in the last hour of cooking, but the potato I add after I've shredded the chicken. Wait til the chicken has had couple of hours of cooking and the chicken practically shreds itself! I usually wait about 4 hours or so then shred it with two forks.


Drop in the potato, stir and leave the crock pot to continue doing it's magic.
(The potato will probably need at least an hour to cook through.)


Last add the greek yogurt and the peas and carrots mix to the sauce stir it up
 and let sit for about and hour more.




And there you go. Crock pot curry chicken and naan.


Bubba has become a picky eating toddler and hardly eats the same thing as us anymore, 
but tonight he decided to steal Daddy's chair and eat a little naan, but NO curry!

"I stole Daddy's chair!"



No comments:

Post a Comment