Thursday, September 26, 2013

First Pumpkin Harvest

It's Fall!
Bubba has been a great gardening partner this year. He weeded the garden with me (sometimes plants that weren't weeds) and watered it with me every day. He had become increasingly more excited about picking the pumpkins we have been growing since they started to look like actual pumpkins. Last week there were two that were ripe so we picked them. He carried one around the house and called it "pumpkie" but once he started to toss it like a ball I moved it to the front porch. Since then every time we go out to the garden he wants to pick more.


So you can imagine how excited he was to be able to pick a bunch of them today!


Once we came inside and he was distracted I split 4 of the pumpkins in half, cleaned out the seeds, baked them at 350 for 20-30 minutes and after letting them cool scooped the pumpkin out of the shells then pureed it. Then I lightly tossed the seeds with olive oil and baked them at 325 for about 15 minutes stirring them occasionally.

All this with only 4 pumpkins!

Now with 5 cups of pumpkin puree I had to make something pumpkiny. I decided to experiment with a different pumpkin bread recipe. I used my normal banana bread recipe, but added 1 cup of pumpkin puree and omitted the bananas and apple sauce. Then I made a glaze to pour over it.

Glaze Recipe:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons of milk
1/2 teaspoon melted butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix ingredient til smooth and pour over the bread, then refrigerate til ready to serve.



And this recipe for a change, Bubba loved! 




No comments:

Post a Comment