Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Big Boy Bed

I had a plan how I was going to do this.
I was going to wait til a Friday, take the side off the crib after nap and let Bubba hang out in the room on and off during the day so he would be used to the new status of his bed and then we would have all weekend to practice so that Bubba might not get in and out of bed all night on a week day when my husband had to get up early the next morning. This is how it ended up happening.

One Monday morning Ivor hopped into Bubba's crib while we were reading books in his room. Bubba promptly got up and pulled himself into the crib with Ivor, then climbed back out. Then in and out another time. Oh crap.


We decided since Bubba has become such a good sleeper lately we'd try to put him down for nap like usual then take the side off before bedtime. We even let him help remove the rail.

                            

This was the scene in Bubba's room an hour before bedtime
(BTW, he is yelling "I Free!" at the end of the clip.):


 Not feeling very optimistic we headed back to his room. Much to my surprise Bubba climbed in bed and actually stayed in it, but when I went to leave he cried "Hugs!" So I went back hugged him, tucked him in and tried again. "Sad." he called so I returned and lay next to his bed. As it turns out the new freedom was a bit overwhelming to my Bubs.  As I lay on my son's floor again, I thought of a poem from my childhood:

"...Belinda was brave as a barrel full of bears,
And Ink and Blink chased lions down the stairs,
Mustard was brave as a tiger in a rage,
But Custard cried for a nice safe cage..."

After an hour and a half total, he was out. I crept out of his room and went to bed in case the worst happened. At midnight I awoke to Bubba crying. He was sitting on the floor in a pile of blankets, I think he rolled out of bed. I tucked him back in and he drifted off. The rest of the night was uneventful but at five in the morning he awoke and I grabbed a pillow and blanket and took my position.

Nap time then next day went much smoother. We sat by his bed and read three books. He lay down and so did I. He held my hand and drifted off. Victory in fifteen minutes!
If recent history is applied Bubba may have a rocky start but will end up sleeping like a champ. Before now he would walk down to his room by himself, when I announced it was bedtime, hop in the chair to read a story, then sigh as I tucked him into bed calling "Night Night, Mommy!" as I'd leave and he'd sleep til morning.

At the one hour mark on the second night as Bubba talked about various "itchy fingers" and made shadow puppets on the wall I decided that Custard had found his courage. I said "Night Night Bubba. Love you." as I tucked him in and left the room. And waited.

Not a peep. He just rolled over and when to sleep, and stayed that way all night.


No comments:

Post a Comment