Sunday, March 25, 2012

Homemade Falafels

I have now completed the trifecta! Homemade Pita Bread, Hummus, and Falafels.

 Something I miss about not working in the Jewelry District in Chicago, besides the Latkes at Chanukah, is the falafel place. Found in the back of the Jewelers Mall in 21 N Wabash, this was one of my favorite restaurants, and actually the first place I ate at downtown during a diamond grading lab class. I have tried those packaged mixes and they aren't horrible, but they are nowhere near the same thing. I haven't quite got my falafels as good as Oasis Cafe yet, but they are the Falafel Masters!

2 cans chickpeas
2 cloves garlic
1/4 onion
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon cumin
2 tablespoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Recipe adapted from Diner's Journal NY Times

Put the ingredients in food processor and pulse till minced- not pureed



Then form into tight little patties.

The next step is tricky.  Falafels tend to come apart in the oil if it isn't hot enough.  You can deep fry them (at say 350 degrees) or pan fry them in oil, lightly browning the outsides.  Alternatively, you can bake them like I did and save yourself the headache of messing with oil.  I did it at 400 degrees for about 20 mins, flipping half way through.  They come out a little crumbly this way, but who cares?  They're going in a pita anyways.  I was thinking that next time I tried this, I would brush the outsides with oil before baking--that might add a little bit of crispiness to the outside.





Slice open a pita, spread a little hummus on it add a little lettuce and your falafel fresh out of the oven and enjoy!
Trifecta assembled!

Devour!


No comments:

Post a Comment