Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Yogurt Chive Flat Bread with Red Pepper Dip

In a Facebook Baby Led Weaning group that I am a member of someone mentioned a flat bread recipe made with only yogurt and flour, but no details other than to combine it to a rolling consistency. They described it as incredible! I had to experiment and try it.

I chose plain Chobani Greek yogurt because I had bought some for Bubba and it seemed a little more sour than his plain Dannon yogurt, he still ate it but I had only used it as a sour cream topping for his latkes. He eats plain yogurt pretty often, but like I said this seemed a bit too tangy. Since it was so much like sour cream, I decided to add chives to the flat bread. I love chives. I can go through a jar in less than two weeks. When I am on a chive kick, they end up in everything.  If only I could get a chive plant to grow for me--I always kill them.



Anyhow, here's what you'll need for the flat bread:
4 cups flour
2 1/4 cups plain yogurt
2 tablespoons chives



That's it. Combine it all in a large bowl and mix together with a fork till you get it to be doughy enough to knead. Knead it on a lightly floured surface until smooth and completely blended.


Next divide the dough up into balls.


Roll out to about 1/4 inch thick (like the pitas)


Preheat the oven to 425. Put them in for 10 minutes, then flip them over and put back in for another 10 minutes.



Now the flat bread was great by itself, but it seemed to need a dip. As I have been chopping quiche ingredients I have often thought to myself that the veggies would make a very good dip if baked and topped with cheese. And you know what? I was right.

Here's what you'll need for the dip:

3 cloves garlic
1/4 yellow onion
1/2 large red bell pepper
4 mushrooms
1/2 cup frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
splash of olive oil
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (for topping)

First I mixed all the veggies and the olive oil in  my mini chopper then poured them out in to an oven safe dish.


Add the shredded mozzarella to the top.


Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes till cheese is golden brown. (If you put it in with your last batch of flat bread it will be ready just in time)


Yum!



And as usual Bubba loves them!


No comments:

Post a Comment